A good jeweler insurance policy will cover shipments, but we know it can be a hassle when your packages don’t arrive as expected.
Follow these tips to help prevent lost or stolen packages.
- Pack jewelry in a medium-sized cardboard box. Seal with tape. Label the box with the return address and tracking number in case the outer shipping box is damaged. Never use an envelope.
- Pack the inner box in a large packaging box from the delivery service or a sturdy, unmarked shipping box (no smaller than an adult-sized shoe box).
- Pack the shipping box with packing material to protect the inner box during shipping.
- Seal the shipping box with gummed, reinforced paper mailing tap or pressure-sensitive shipping tape. Write the tracking number on the box.
- Disguise mailing information so jewelry-related words are never mentioned. Disguise the return address in a similar fashion.
- Require a signature to be obtained upon delivery. Use Registered Mail whenever possible.
DON’T use a small box as a shipping box. Never ship jewelry in an envelope or folder.
DON’T use string, rope, masking tape or cellophane tape to seal the package.
DON’T indicate anywhere on the box or label that the package contains jewelry or that it is being shipped from a jewelry-related business.
DON’T use a drop box.
Unsure if your policy covers jewelry shipments? Contact us.